Key Lime Trifle
- 1 box 1 box angel food cake mix or make your own or even better buy one from the bakery
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 10 Oats ‘n honey crunchy granola bars. If you purchase Nature Valley brand they come 2 per pouch so you would need 5 pouches
- 2 tsp grated key lime peel
- 16 oz frozen extra creamy whipped topping with real cream thawed
- 7 oz good quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped (do not use baking chocolate)
Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Mix, bake and cool cake as directed on cake mix box using 13x9-inch pan. Cut cooled cake into about 3/4-inch pieces; set aside.
In large bowl, beat condensed milk and lime juice with whisk until well combined. In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form. Using rubber spatula, gently fold whipped cream into condensed milk-lime mixture until smooth. Cover; refrigerate until needed.
Using food processor, process granola bars until ground.
Gently stir lime peel into whipped topping (do not overmix). Set aside
In 3-quart glass trifle bowl, spoon layer of lime-cream mixture. Follow with layers of ground granola bars, chopped white chocolate and cake pieces. Repeat layers, leaving room for final layer of whipped topping. If desired, garnish with additional ground granola bar and Key lime slices. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.