Laser hair removal is an effective and permanent treatment for removing unwanted hair or excess hair, also known as hirsutism. This procedure involves sending laser light through the hair pigment, and it is converted to heat, which damages the hair bulb and hair follicle.
Is laser hair removal better than traditional waxing and plucking? When should you consider undergoing a laser hair removal treatment?
In this post, you’ll learn more about laser hair removal and the conditions that can cause unwanted hair growth.
Good-to-Know Facts about Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is not totally painless, though you’ll find devices with a cooling mechanism, which constantly release cold blasts of air where the laser points. The pain is often described as quick and sharp, which is more eminent on thinner skin areas, like the skin near the chin, temples, and nose. However, for most patients, the pain is tolerable and some say that the procedure is virtually painless compared to waxing.
You’ll notice the results after two to three weeks from the initial laser hair removal treatment, and about 8 to 12 treatments to experience the full results. Compliance with laser treatment schedules is crucial to ensure you get the best results, so click here to learn more about laser hair removal treatment.
In Ithaca New York, like any other city, beauty, health, and wellness are important priorities. The famous celebrities from New York include Anne Hathaway and Lindsay Lohan. If you want to have hairless, flawless and celebrity-like skin, particularly in the armpit and leg area, you’ve got to try laser hair removal as a permanent hair removal solution.
Here are the benefits of laser hair removal:
- Effective: Lasers are useful and effective for removing unwanted hair or treating hirsutism from the face, underarm, leg, arm, and bikini line.
- Precise: Laser selectively targets dark and coarse hair without leaving your skin damaged.
- Fast: It takes only a fraction of a second for the laser pulse to take effect. It means that it can treat a number of hair strands at the same time. Laser hair removal treatment is used in removing unwanted hair at the back, legs, and other large skin and areas, and it can be used in treating even small skin areas like the upper lip in less than a minute.
- Predictable: After 3 to 7 sessions, most patients report permanent hair loss.
Understanding the Causes of Hirsutism or Excessive Hair
- Medical Conditions
Hirsutism is the medical term for unwanted or excessive hair that grows on the face or the body. Women generally have light-colored and very fine body and facial hair. However, some women develop excessive or unwanted hair due to virilization.
This medical condition is caused by excess testosterone production or anabolic steroid use. In newborns, virilization can be caused by medicines the mother took during pregnancy or medical conditions affecting the adrenal glands (release of male hormones), like congenital adrenal hyperplasia or ovarian tumors.
During the puberty stage, virilization and hirsutism can be caused by polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, and taking certain medicines like anabolic steroids. Adult women may also develop tumors of the ovaries and enlargement of the adrenal glands that may also cause excessive hair growth. Nevertheless, all women, both adults and teenagers, can enhance their looks with laser hair removal.
- Medicines May Cause Hair Growth
Hirsutism can be caused by taking any of the following medications:
- Anabolic Steroids: Doctors prescribe steroids to help treat delayed puberty and other hormonal issues. Also, steroids can treat AIDS, cancer, and other medical conditions that cause muscle loss.
- Danazol: This is used to treat infertility and pelvic pain due to a disorder in the uterus or endometriosis. Also, it is used to treat breast tenderness, nodules, and pain due to breast conditions, like fibrocystic breast disease.
- Glucocorticoids: This medication is used in treating various medical conditions, like asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, skin conditions, and allergies.
- Phenytoin: It is used to treat and control seizures and epilepsy.
- Other Medications: Cyclosporine, testosterone, and minoxidil.
Ithaca, New York laser hair removal clinics can help treat hirsutism caused by medical conditions and medications mentioned above. The procedure is done by a professional and experienced laser hair removal specialist with the appropriate training to handle clients.
If you have unwanted facial or body hair, and wish to remove them permanently, laser hair removal is your best option. It is a procedure that’s virtually painless compared to plucking and waxing. Excessive hair can be caused by medical conditions involving the adrenal glands and ovaries, as well as taking medications, like steroids.